Dear Friends in Christ,
Now that the poster explaining our stained glass window project is up, some of you have come to me very excited about this new addition to our church. Several have expressed that they look forward to the enhancement of our church with this beautiful stained glass. However, I have also heard some objections to the project. This week I would like to address these questions, which I will number below:
1. Why are we buying windows when we need to reduce our debt?
First of all, the donor has a right to restrict his donation to a specific project. In this case the donor wants to donate stained glass windows. We often receive smaller donations that are also restricted. For example, some donations are given for flowers or for the school. We want to respect the wishes of every donor. Now, reducing the debt is also necessary and when we receive unrestricted donations I will usually apply them to reduction of our debt. This year our debt has shrunk from about $230,000 to about $175,000 due to some generous donations. To those who think the donor should donate to the debt I would challenge to match his donation with a donation to reduce the debt or fund another project. Generosity is a virtue and deserves to be imitated.
2. Is the donor just trying to make a name for himself?
As I said in an earlier letter, the donor wishes to remain anonymous. I don’t see how he can make a name for himself if he doesn’t want his name to appear in any acknowledgement. This is what Jesus asked us to do when He said, “Don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.” We’re in a recession. Isn’t this bad timing to make such a large gift? Ironically enough fund-raising specialists tell us that hard economic times are often better for non-profit organizations than prosperous times. People begin to think more seriously about how they use their money and want to use it for good causes.
In general, generosity breeds more generosity. If you are unable to match the donor’s dollar amount, what about volunteering to offer your time and talent? Here’s a practical suggestion: I’m looking for a couple of new members for our pastoral council. Are any of you interested in joining us, or do you know of a good candidate?
Blessings on your summer vacations.
Fr. Hildebrand
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment