To me, the greatest poverty is that [of] abortion: the fear of the child. The child must die; the child must be killed so that we don’t have to feed one more child, we don’t have to educate one more child. Terrible! Terrible! Mother could murder her own child! Terrible! It is the sign of great poverty. And so, open your eyes to come to know.One evening, a man came to our house and said, "There is a family with eight children that have not eaten for a long time. Do something for them." And I took some rice, and the mother took [it]. I could see from the eyes of the children — God knows how long they had not eaten — their eyes were simply shining with hunger, and big black lines under their eyes. And the mother went out with the rice, and when she came back, I asked her, "Where did you go? And what did you do?" And she said, "They are hungry, also."
[“They” were her] next-door neighbor. She knew they were hungry. I was not surprised that she gave, but I was very much surprised that she knew, because in sorrow like that, in a suffering like that, very often we have no time to think of others. And yet this tremendous woman had the courage to love like that. Great love.
This is something we have to learn from the poor people; they are very great people. You don’t know what is hunger. You have never experienced that. But one day, I picked up a child — six, seven years old — from the street, and I could see the pain of hunger in her face. So, I gave her a piece of bread. And then I saw the child eating the bread, crumb by crumb. I said, "Eat, eat the bread." And then she looked at me and said, "I am afraid when the bread will be finished, I will be hungry again."
See, that little one, so small, has already tasted the pain of suffering, the pain of hunger. And this is what I want you… [to do]: open your eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment